1. Vic Hayes is known as the “Father of Wi-Fi.
2. You probably think that the word wifi means “wireless fidelity”, technically it is wrong. The brand name was named Wifi to create an affair with the consumer’s mind.
3. The “Fi” in “Wifi” doesn’t mean anything. The creature is just called it that because it rhymes with “Hifi”.
4. Wifi was actually called WaveLAN, FlankSpeed, DragonFly, WECA and IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence before we started calling it as WiFi.
5. We believe that WiFi is a new technology, but wireless internet was actually established in September 1990.
6. Wi-Fi was developed by using technology from a failed experiment attempting to detect ‘Mini Black Holes’.
7. WiFi is only radio signals although people think it is their own type of signal.
8. The signal usually emitted from a Wi-Fi router is donut-shaped.
9. There are many things like walking sticks, umbrellas, shirts, water bottles, cutlery, which can connect to wifi.
10. 71% of mobile communications flowing over wireless internet. This makes it the king of communications transmission the world over.
11. India sold over 204 million WiFi devices in 2018.
12. With the global average internet speed being at 5.6Mbps, South Korea is the fastest country in the world, with an average internet speed of 26.7Mbps!
13. Right now 4 billion people are using the Internet – that’s over half the world’s population connected to the world wide web just like you are.
14. By 2020 it is estimated that more than 50 billion Wi-Fi connected devices being used by 7.8 billion people worldwide will be connected devices.
15. In the early days of computer networking, coaxial cables were used, the same type of cabling that is commonly used for cable or satellite TV today.
16. Hedy Lamarr who had invented the basic technology for the WiFi, the spread spectrum. Was an actress and was given the title of the most beautiful women in the world.
17. Currently, there are around 150 million smart homes around the world and all of them are on the strength of wifi.
18. We hear it a lot in the news … WiFi is putting our families in danger! Wi-Fi should be stopped at night to avoid the disease! In fact, there is no scientific evidence to suggest illnesses which are responsible for the WiFi signal.
19. Just like the computer has its own language (binary), WiFi also has its own language.
20. The earliest WiFi predecessor was launched in Hawaii in 1979. ALOHAnet was a computer networking system that allowed the first public display of the wireless packet data network.
21. Specially developed WiFi networks can reach more than 275 km by using WiFi range extender.
Read more: Top 101 Technology Facts
Microwaves Can Affect WiFi Networks
Microwaves leave a large amount of energy when they are in use and can interfere with your WiFi signal. To keep this in context, the microwave oven typically generates about 1,000 watts, which is 10,000 times more than the signal given by your Wi-Fi. Generally, it is outside the microwave, but it only takes a small leak to disrupt your signal.
I hope you have got to learn something new after reading this Wifi fact. This website has many technology facts. You can read them by clicking here.